2022 Battle of Plattsburgh Poster Contest
April 1, 2022 - May 28th, 2022
NYSATA Region 5 has partnered with 1814 Commemoration Inc. for the 2022 Battle of Plattsburgh Commemoration Poster Contest.
● All 5th grade students in Clinton or Essex counties.
All submitted posters will be judged by a panel of art teachers and the winners will be announced in early June. Four artists will receive the Jane Claffey 1814 Art Award and a monetary prize sponsored by the City of Plattsburgh.
THE JANE CLAFFEY 1814 ART AWARD
The Poster Contest 1814 Art Award is named for Jane Claffey, a long-time volunteer for the Battle of Plattsburgh Commemoration and the person who was responsible for initiating and supervising the contest from 1998 until 2016. Jane is a retired teacher.
● 1st Place $100.00 and poster will be used on the Commemoration button.
● 2nd Place $75.00
● 3rd Place $50.00
● 4th Place $25.00
● The awards and prizes will be presented to the students at a special ceremony and Press Conference in late June, at City Hall in Plattsburgh, and the students will be invited to be Special Guests in the Commemoration Parade on September 10th.
Please Submit the entry form: Battle of Plattsburgh Poster Contest
The words "The Battle of Plattsburgh" and student name should NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE POSTER. The winning poster will be used to create a souvenir event button. The date of the Battle of Plattsburgh Commemoration, and the name of the artist will be included in the design of the button before it is manufactured.
Include the following information on the back of the artwork
●Name of the student
●School and grade
●Art teacher name
●Contact information for the teacher and the school
● 1814 Commemoration Inc. will keep the winning posters however, each artist will receive a copy of their poster. All winning posters will be kept in historical archives and will be part of an annual exhibit that will take place during the Commemoration. The posters will be on the 1814 Commemoration Inc. website - Battle of Plattsburgh Poster & Button Gallery.
● Artwork should be completed on 12x18” paper within an 11” circle.
● Please do not cut the circle out of the paper.
● Any medium is acceptable if it can be photographed. Please use your discretion to assist students with their choice of medium.
● Please encourage students to avoid strictly battle scenes and focus more on the "Living History" aspect of the Battle of Plattsburgh, and life in 1814.
Refer to the 1814 Commemoration Inc. website: 1814inc.com to access articles, stories, music, videos, and the Poster & Button Gallery (winning posters and buttons from 1998 to 2021) to assist students with historical and artistic information.
All information on the website is appropriate for the students.
The video “The Final Invasion” an original documentary about the War of 1812, produced by Bruce Carlin of Carlin Media, can be viewed at 1814inc.com. The video tells the history of the War of 1812, in particular the events of the September 11, 1814 “The Battle of Plattsburgh”.
A copy of the video, “The Final Invasion” is available upon request. If you would like a copy for your classroom/school please contact:
Linda Masterson Ward
Local reenactors and historians are available to visit your classroom!
If you would like to schedule a visit with reenactors or a local historian (in person or a virtual visit), please contact:
Linda Masterson Ward
Questions regarding the Poster Contest should be directed to:
Questions regarding Historical content on the website, Award Ceremony, Poster Exhibit, or participation in the Parade should be directed to:
Linda Masterson Ward, Volunteer - 1814 Commemoration Inc.
The New York State Art Teachers Association (NYSATA) is a non-profit professional organization founded in 1948 for the purpose of advancing the cause of art education.
The New York State Art Teachers Association is made up of 10 Regions. Region 5 is the Adirondack region, which includes Clinton and Essex counties. Members include preschool through university level art educators, art administrators, museum educators, school administrators, school districts, commercial representatives, and friends and benefactors.
The 2021 Jane Claffey 1814 Art Award Poster Contest Winners